Food Friday – Lemony Linguine
For my first Food Friday, here’s Grover’s Lemony Linguine with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes. Yes, Grover does a great job with this one. Part of the Sesame Street, Let’s Cook, cookbook by Susan McQuillan, RD, 2014, this recipe makes a quick and delicious pasta. It also includes a good trick for cooking the zucchini with the pasta. It may sound silly, but I have found several tasty recipes in this cookbook, that all the members of my family love. A bonus is that each recipe has tips on how to involve your kiddos, when you are cooking.
Grover’s Lemony Linguine with Zucchini and Cherry Tomatoes
Prep Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time 15 minutes Makes 4 servings
8 ounces uncooked multigrain linguine
1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
1 pint cherry on grape tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried, crumbled (I substitute fresh basil)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling. Add the linguine and cook according to the package directions. Add the zucchini 3 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in half. (Small children can use a plastic knife with adult supervision.)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat Add the tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Turn off the heat stir in the lemon juice, and season, if needed, with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and zucchini in a colander. Add to the tomato mixture in the skillet. Toss gently, reheat, if necessary and serve at once.
- Pass the grated cheese at the table so each person can add some to the pasta.